TOPIC: Suspension Upgrades

Suspension Upgrades 3 years 6 months ago #1437

• jmaher
  • Moped Master
  • Jason Maher-87 Conquest
So I have a set of sleeve over coilovers on the Conquest and I am looking to upgrade the springs. I have the following set of sleeve overs:

www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=67&pid=1239

I am tired of listening to the helper springs rattle and am not sure the spring rates are correct.

What are the chances I could go to a single spring ground control spring and reuse my perches? I would need 7" 2.5 diameter springs. I am also wondering what size to go with and if there is a resource for used springs?

Struts are just Replacement KYB drop ins.
"I was doing fine until about mid corner, that's pretty much where I ran out of talent and spun the car"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Suspension Upgrades 3 years 6 months ago #1438

Summit has tons of spring choices. 2.5" Eibach springs are around $60 a piece I think. Almost any length and rate. They are the best spring for the money. Swift gets all the hype and might be a little better, but ordering from summit is so easy. I think summit has some cheaper brands you could look at too.

As far as helper vs single spring, have you ever had an issue with lifting a wheel? If you're not lifting, I would say you don't need a helper.
#36 SM 1995 240sx
2005 STi - DD

"When it comes to boost, if some is good then more is better!"
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by BAMF_S14.

Suspension Upgrades 3 years 6 months ago #1439

• jmaher
  • Moped Master
So how do I go about picking rates? The QA1 springs have good reviews on most sites and are $40 a spring. I was thinking of trying a set of those out.
"I was doing fine until about mid corner, that's pretty much where I ran out of talent and spun the car"

Suspension Upgrades 3 years 6 months ago #1440

What rates were you using before? Front engine, rear drive, you want some bias towards the front. Do you have a decent sized sway bar in front, 25 mm or more?

I'm going to assume the kyb struts aren't setup for super high rates, nor are you, driving it on the street. I would say you should be looking in the 375-450lb range in front. For the rear, 250-325lb range. The balance is all car specific, so it might take some trial and error. Sub $100 isn't bad though for a spring change.

I'll be doing the same with springs and might have some 7" ones. We'll see. I know for sure I have 8" 400lb. Then I have 2 pairs with no markings, and another 2 pair that I don't know off the top of my head.

For your collars, are they attached in any way too the strut, or do they just sit on it?
#36 SM 1995 240sx
2005 STi - DD

"When it comes to boost, if some is good then more is better!"
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by BAMF_S14.

Suspension Upgrades 3 years 6 months ago #1441

• jmaher
  • Moped Master
The struts are housing/insert set up. The stock perches have been cut off and new perches welded on. The collars sit on the spring perches and are shimmed out from the strut with some exhaust tubing. The whole combination fits tight but is truly only retained by spring force/gravity.

Looks like most set ups are 450 to the front 350 to the rear. Supposedly my dual coil kit is at this rate but I don't know that the springs were ever labeled or if they are installed correctly.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds